Thursday, July 28, 2011

What's the Deal With the Lettuce!?!?

I was recently reading a post from The Farmhouse Kitchen in which the author was mentioning that they almost always have tacos once a week because it's easy, and you usually have the ingredients on hand. For us, in California, that would have been true, but in Connecticut, I've found it's more difficult to keep fresh ingredients (specifically produce) "fresh" for long-mainly lettuce. What is it with the lettuce here?! It doesn't seem to last long at all! However, I must confess I've been slacking on using one of my secret "saving money in the kitchen" weapons. What is it? Well, if I told you it wouldn't be a secret now would it? Ok, ok. I'll spill it. My "secret saving money in the kitchen weapon" is the Progressive Lettuce Keeper. I know, rather anticlimactic, but it's awesome, and it works (and it's only $13.98 on Amazon)! It's not just for storing lettuce either. You can use it for all sorts of produce. The lettuce keeper has a little guide on the front that tells you which veggies need the vent open or closed and which need water at the bottom of the container. My favorite thing to use it for though, is lettuce. I have found my lettuce lasts significantly longer using this. And that's where the saving $ part comes in-waste in the kitchen means wasted $$. If a head of lettuce costs you $3, and you only got to use half of it before it went bad, that lettuce just turned into a $6 head! So, with that being said, I guess I'll stop grumbling and go get that puppy out of the cupboard and into the fridge ;).

2 comments:

  1. I need one of those! You're gonna find "fresh" is hard to come by when you aren't in Cali. Three days is the max for most fresh produce in Texas panhandle. It takes a little extra work, but eating fresh is so worth it! Don't ya think? And a BIG thanks for mentioning my blog:)

    ReplyDelete