Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ahhh...Quiet


Don't you just want to be here? I don't know where this is. I just happened to find this picture online, but thought it was lovely and had to share. It's the picture of "quiet". "Quiet? What is that?" you may ask. I know, I know, but hear me out. What I have to tell you is vitally important to your well being as a mom. When I was a little girl, my mother had what was called "Quiet Time" every day (Monday-Friday) between the hours of 2 PM-3PM sharp. Occasionally there were exceptions if there was something out of the ordinary going on, but most often, at 2:00 I was called in for my "quiet time". When my sister and I were younger this was our nap time, but when we were too old for naps, it became reading time for us. We would select a few books to look at and would then be separated and put in separate bedrooms to rest quietly with our books. My mom always took this time to retreat to another section of the house to have some quiet time of her own to read, rest, and just...well, be. At the time being a child, ie. egocentric, I thought this was for our benefit (rest time), but now that I'm a mom with two little crazies of my own, I understand now that this was just as much for her benefit as ours. This was a time for her to regroup, re-energize, and just have some time to herself. As I write this, my little ones are currently having quiet times of their own-naps. I've been letting my 3-year old out of naps lately because for the most part, she doesn't really seem to need one, but today I put her down for some rest time. Even if she doesn't need it, I do! And so, this will be worked back into our daily routine, for mommy's sake. Thank goodness for my mother's wise example. She understood the importance of a little daily peace & quiet. It made her a more patient mommy, and a happier wife my dad came home to. So, even if it doesn't always work out to a full hour-because in kidland, stuff happens, I will continue to make this a priority for my kids and myself. After all, we mommies are human, and sometimes we just need a little quiet. Ahhh. Now, to get myself a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment