Thursday, July 7, 2011

Save $: Basic Household Items Repurposed

I came across this article yesterday on Yahoo and thought it had some very helpful tips, and it's always interesting to see what creative things other people have come up with. I love multi-purposing things to save money and be, well, just a little cooler, so here are some money-saving ideas that you can hopefully use in your household.  


Via Bex Barker in "First Person: The Six Surprising Money Savers Hiding in My Home"

1) The mesh bags onions and potatoes come in from the grocery store generally end up in the garbage can. Instead of tossing them, I save a few and use their naturally abrasive texture to scrub pots and pans. The bags are far more gentle on hands than S.O.S pads filled with chemicals.  (Via SAHM I AM- you can also use foil squished into a ball as an abrasive scrubber. It works pretty well, and your hubby will think you're a genius).

2) Paper towels are ridiculously expensive. Many people have moved to cleaning with old washcloths or a sponge, and that is certainly a great alternative. However, I am one of those people who prefer to throw away things I have used to wipe the toilet. If you are like me, try using cheap coffee filters. They clean better than paper towels (especially mirrors), and are way cheaper.

3) Speaking of cleaning, "going green" is in these days, so why not hop on that bandwagon for some of your kitchen and bathroom cleansers? Simple ingredients like baking soda splashed with vinegar are terrific for cleaning showers and toilets, and they're especially great at opening drains. If your bathtub drains are clogged with hair, replace the Drano with a few shakes of baking soda, a splash or three of vinegar, and a kettleful of boiling water. These products are generally in the pantry already and when combined they make amazing cleaning agents. (Going to have to try that one- between my uber thick hair and my daughter’s we constantly have clogged bathrooms drains)

4) I love baking soda. It has so many uses. Another of my favorite tips is to pour about half a cup of baking soda into a small dish, add 12 drops of essential oil (or your favorite scented oil from Bath & Body Works), and place the dish wherever a little freshening is needed. I like to put a dish in the car after I've forgotten to bring in a cup of coffee and the spoiled cream has left a distasteful odor.

5) While I'm discussing cleaning, I would be remiss in not bringing attention to the most amazing corn cleaner ever. I love corn on the cob, but I hate the corn silk that can seem impossible to remove. Now I just use an unused toothbrush to brush the corn. The bristles do a great job of cleaning out all the silk, and I don't have to spend half an hour per ear of corn. (This one is a little weird to me, but don’t knock it until you’ve tried it right?)

6)Finally, the easiest of them all. Outdoor activities like concerts or picnics can be less comfortable if you are sitting on a blanket in soggy grass. I like to keep a cheap shower curtain liner with my picnic blanket for these occasions. The liner keeps the blanket dry, and my family and I no longer have to worry about wet bottoms after our picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment