Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Save $: Make your own croutons from the left-overs


I regularly make my own croutons and bread crumbs. Yeah, they're not that expensive to just purchase, but I hate waste. Waste= $ in my opinion, and on one income, saving money is important. Last night I had two ends of dry Italian bread left-over (in CA it'd be French, but for whatever reason they only sell Italian in Cheshire), so I started cutting it into chunks to be made into croutons. I typically like to toss them in olive oil and then whatever seasonings I fancy-usually Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and Parmesan. They then are spread out on a baking pan or cookie sheet, and put in the oven until golden (15-20 min) at about 350 degrees or so. Think about it-you'd otherwise be tossing out that left-over bread and dropping a couple bucks on croutons! Do this regularly, and you're saving yourself around $50 a year or more depending on how often you eat croutons. You can also choose instead to toast up the bread a tad, so it's on the dry side and then put it in a food processor to make bread crumbs. Put it in a Tupperware container or zip lock baggy for storing.
Here are a couple simple crouton recipes to give you some ideas. Homemade Croutons , Sharron's Homemade Croutons , Italian Salad Croutons .

No comments:

Post a Comment